Some believe we all have a sixth sense we can access and it is located between the eyes. The chakras are believed to be energy centers that are wheel like in appearance and distributed throughout your body. These chakras can affect your perception and well-being. The Anja or third eye chakra, is the sixth chakra and the one believed to create a type of sixth sense. The third eye is located in the center of the head, parallel to the middle of your brows. This chakra is believed to be strongly linked to spiritual communication, perception, and awareness. Some believe when this is open, the third eye can provide insight with wisdom to deepen your spiritual connections. While there is no scientific evidence to support the claims of the third eye importance, many cultures emphasize its importance. Below you will find more information on the third eye, what it is believed to do, and how to allow it to open.
What It Is
The third eye chakra is thought to be related to things like spiritual perception, clarity, concentration, intuition, imagination, and even a universal connection. The chakra is said to be linked to the pineal gland which is a pea sized gland in the vertebrate bear the hypothalamus and shaped like a pinecone. It is revered as a tool of seers and mystics. Many cultures believe the pineal gland plays a significant role. For example, in ancient Egypt, the symbol of the Eye of Horus mirrors the placement of this gland in the human head profile. Basically, the pineal gland is a biological relative of the third eye chakra. The gland itself produces melatonin which affects reproductive hormones and circadian rhythms. It has also been linked to consciousness, though scientifically it has not been linked to spiritual experiences.
What It Does
Even without scientific proof, some believe the third eye is a window to the spiritual. If the third eye is blocked, it can lead to issues. These may include uncertainty, confusion, pessimism, lack of purpose and much more. Once the third eye is clear and open, a person may experience mental clarity, clear self-expression, strengthened intuition, and even a sense of bliss.
While further research is definitely needed about the spiritual and emotional affects of the third eye, it is scientifically clear that a smaller pineal gland volume may be linked to mood disorders. Again, it is not mainstream science, but some people believe there is a link between chakras and mental health. Some also believe that the third eye acts as a doorway for spiritual communication which means an open third eye can lead to mental phenomena. This phenomenon may include telepathy, lucid dreaming, astral projection, clairvoyance, and many others.
Opening the Third Eye
Some traditions emphasize a need to open and harmonize the chakras before opening the third eye. This is so you have both the capacity and grounding needed to handle the insights that will come from higher consciousness. If not, some believe this opening could be destabilizing. If you feel like you are ready to open your third eye, then some basic methods will be described below.
- Activate Your Third Eye – Send gratitude to the third eye for your intuitive abilities and your connection to nature through it.
- Supplement Your Diet – Diet can play a role in third eye opening. Certain foods may detoxify and support the opening. Try foods like raw cacao, garlic, lemon, goji berries, star anise, cilantro, ginseng, vitamin D3, and more. These are thought to help purify the pineal gland.
- Essential Oils – Essential oils are tools for healing and opening the chakras. Try lemon, jasmine, or sandalwood. Gather one or several of the oils and a carrier oil of your choice. Mix the oils in the correct ration, 6 drops to a teaspoon of carrier oil, and apply the mixture to the third eye chakra carefully. Chanting “OM” as this occurs can help the process. Avoid sun exposure after applying these oils as some can cause photosensitivity.
- Sun Gazing – This form of meditation involves gazing at the rising or setting sun to increase clarity, improve spiritual connections, and boost energy levels. Follow safety precautions so your eyes are not damaged.
- Mediate and Chant – Meditation activates the pineal gland through intention and vibration. Chanting can add to this as well as help you cultivate a feeling of appreciation as well as gratitude.
- Crystals – Crystals are thought to have healing energies and can be beneficial when opening the third eye. For third eye activation, try using amethyst, sodalite, purple violet tourmaline, and others in the violet color palette. Try using a crystal grid or placing the stone between or above the brow during meditation.
How Long Does it Take
There are no hard and fast rules when it comes to opening the third eye. Some say it take a days while others say months or longer. Devote time to the practice daily to work toward opening the third eye. Do not try to force it or opening will become harder.