Grounding is a way of balancing your energy through unifying yourself, your values, goals and the earth. Picture it like you are growing roots into the earth to connect with the totality of yourself and the universal community, while being nourished from Divine energy. The act of grounding enables you to be mindful, organize your thoughts and ensure that you grown in alignment with your goals. A lack of grounding can produce feelings of frenzy stress, chaos, distraction, powerlessness, fatigue, and disconnection. When you aren’t grounded you become more susceptible to external stimuli such as other people’s energy or the environment. Working to ground yourself, you are able to reconnect with what is important to you and your needs. Essentially, you are able to recharge your batteries and can more effectively tap into your abilities, power, as well as create action steps to help you achieve your dreams.
How to ground
- Discover your passions: When you find something that nourishes your spirit, you feel a sense of joy and lightness. It doesn’t matter what this hobby may be. Yoga, participating in sports, hiking, gardening, spend time in this pursuit so you can take a break from daily tasks and gives you a sense of respite.
- Get outside: The more you connect with nature, the more you can see yourself in the interconnected web of the Universe. Breathing the fresh air of the outdoors will help to settle your soul and better attune you to your surroundings. Even if the weather isn’t ideal, dress for the conditions and take a short walk or even take 5-10 deep breaths on your patio. Even just ten minutes of exposure to nature can do wonders to calm your mind and ground.
- Remember to breathe: Breath work is essential in grounding. Try the following exercise. Sit in a tall seat and slowly inhale through your nose for 4-6 seconds. Hold for 4 second, then exhale slowly through your nose for 4-6 seconds. Our breath is intwined with our life force (prana), but we often forget how our breath revigorated our senses. As you practice this breathing exercise you should notice how your nervous system begins to relax and you will become more aware and centered within your body.
- Exercise to release anxiety and improve your health: We are all comprised of energy. When we fail to move, the energy becomes stagnant and can cause anxiety, restlessness, and fatigue. Gentle exercises like yoga, dance, or walking to produce a natural flow. Tell yourself prior to exercise that you are doing this for your health and that by releasing pent up energy, you are creating space for new opportunities and blessings to enter.
- Eat seasonally: When you align your diet to the flow of the seasons you help to reconnect yourself to Mother Earth. Becoming more in tune with your food choices is an excellent way to ground yourself!
- Find your groove: Having a morning routine helps to set a tone for the day. Even a simple 5-minute breathing exercises following waking up can really help center yourself so you can conquer the rest of the day.
- Journal: Writing down your thoughts is a great way to practice intentionality in your life. It will help you better process your thoughts and experiences, as well as help you reconnect to what is most important in your life at this exact moment. Review your journal entries periodically to notice any recurring themes or to address ways to step up effective action plans for success.
- Meditate: When you meditate, you become one with the present moment. You can objectively notice your thoughts and perhaps even release them. Try the follow 5-step grounding practice. Begin by listing in your mind 5 things you can see, 4 things you can feel, 3 things you can hear, 2 things you can smell, and 1 thing you can taste. This fully integrates you with your environment and help you feel more grateful for the moment.
- Redecorate your space: Begin by noticing what in your home is clutter and what things you love. Purge the clutter and notice how your mind responds in turn. As you get rid of old, ill-fitting clothes, you end up releasing limited beliefs. Use the freed-up space to get new items that bring you joy or help you feel inspired. Similarly, you will notice as you declutter your mind, you create space for new blessings and opportunities to emerge.
- Catch some Zs: Sleep is essential to your overall wellness. If your physical body is out of whack, you will find it near impossible to ground yourself!